Saturday, December 13, 2008

Keep a To Do List

Anyone who's ever blogged knows it isn't as simple as just typing some thoughts into a post and voila that's it!

There's a lot that goes into it and your blogging life will be much happier if you stay organized!

To keep your sanity I suggest you create a "To Do List" text file on your computer.

If you have a Windows Computer just click on: Start, programs, accessories, and open: Notepad.

Then enter things you plan to do on your blog in the new text file.

And of course since this list will grow and grow - you may want to prioritize the tasks you want to do first at the top of the list.

The great thing is you can copy and paste and delete text to move it around to easiily arrange what you want to be priority tasks at the top of your text file.

Note: If you need to learn how to copy and paste scroll to the bottom of Quote Posting Guidelines for instructions (it's right under the text: How to Hyperlink).

Things you may want to consider priority tasks:

1. Errors you come across on your site.

Especially broken links, improperly loading "widgets", etc.

People get flustered easily - and if your site doesn't "appear" in order they may not return.

Just remember every day your blog and blog postings have an oppotunity to appeal to new readers!

So basic upkeep like this will safeguard you against people's impulses to find another site that isn't "broken"

2. Optimizing your blog settings.

Don't delay doing this! You'll save a lot more time in the long run if you label your posts up front instead of doing it down the road.

Your blog probably has tons of features you're not even aware of!

At blogger.com you can subscribe to their Rss Feed of their New Features called: Blogger Buzz

And remember you can always check your blog's help files

Some blog sites even have forums where users exchange tips for improving the functionality of their blogs.

One of the most important features you want to display on your blog posts is an RSS feed.

3. Self-Promote

Once you have at least 5 or more quality blog posts you're going to want to get the word out to people about your blog!

Check this out:
The Importance of Linking Your Blog Posts!

4. Things you want to research

5. Things you need to finish

And the best way to avoid more tasks accumulating on your ever-to-do list is to prevent them from accumulating in the first place!

Also I keep a text file called Blogs to Post - where I write down any ideas I have for blog posts - even if it's just one line describing what I want to write about - that way I don't forget it. And if I don't have time to write the post right now I'll have something to trigger me to remember what I wanted to write about. I also like to make notes to myself about what labels I should add to the post - to make it easier for myself later when I'm posting it and selecting labels for it!

And to keep things really organized I even have a text file called Blog Posts to Edit. This is a list of posts I've already posted that I have something new to add to (either a new thought or a link). Because I usually don't remember the title of the post off the top of my head I just write down the thought/link for each post I want to update. Then I use a dotted line to distinguish that the information below each line is for a different post that needs to be edited. Can't decide if your new thought should go in a New Post or Add to Previous Post?

You can even create a seperate list just for URLS that you want to reference in your posts - remember you can go back anytime and edit your posts and add hyperlinks to relevant blog postings or articles you come across.


Phew,
CB Webmaster

No comments:

Post a Comment