Saturday, December 6, 2008

Exclamations!

I'm sure when you learned English Grammar you were told to not use exclamation marks very often. That they are supposed to be used sparingly so as to emphasize true excitement only.

Okay I buy that rule of true excitement - no problem!

lol Yes as you know if you read my postings regularly I throw caution to the wind when it comes to exclamation marks and use them automatically whenever I'm excited about something! (And that happens to be often! hehe)

You can easily avoid your page drowning in exclamation marks by using them properly - to display that excitement.

Here's an example of improper and proper exclamation use:


I went to the party today! It was fun. I thought my banana pudding was too soft! I should've tried the chocolate cake instead! Next time I will!


I went to the party today. It was fun! I thought the banana pudding was too soft. I should've tried the chocolate cake instead. Next time I will!


I'll even go as far as to say that you could even throw in another exclamation mark after "chocolate cake instead" if that really was something you felt strongly about.

So the first example had 4 exclamation marks and the second version had only 2.

If you read the first example out loud to yourself intoning the exclamation marks you'll automatically see how it's overbearing and how "it's fun" should have been exclaimed.

So be yourself and have fun!


Ever yours,
CB Webmaster! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment