Saturday, December 6, 2008

Create a Great Blogger.com Profile

I'm sure you want a profile that stands out from the rest! Well since I use blogger.com I can give you some pointers on how to make your blogger.com profile do more for you!

First off, did you know you have a profile? lol Well just login to your blog and you'll see an option on your dashboard to edit your profile. Click on that.

Now you're ready to plug in information about yourself so your readers can get to know you a little bit better.

So let me run you through the steps.

1. Check the box that says: Share my profile (trust me you want to share your profile)

2. Next decide if you want to disclose your name. To help you with this decision you may want to consult a blog posting by Lisa titled: Being Anonymous Can Hurt You

3. Check the box that says: Show my email address. (but wait I don't want everyone to know my e-mail address!! That's okay you can give them a way to contact you by providing an email address which forwards the emails to your private email address)

4. The next step says: Show my blogs (Select blogs to display) - in the event that you have more than one blog this option allows you to select which ones you want displayed on your profile - I suggest you display them all! Right now I have nearly 60 blogs on blogger.com and I've chosen to display them all on my profile. Why? Because it makes it easier for people to find blogs they may be interested in all at one place.

5. Next is identity - you may choose an anonymous name or enter your favorite nickname or even your real name if you like.

6. Then you get to choose a photo to display for your profile. This photo is very small and it can be of whatever you like. Instead of a picture of myself I made a little logo image and uploaded it here.

7. Then you can include an audio clip if you like. I haven't taken advantage of this myself yet but it's a great idea! Because it allows people to put a voice to the text they're reading! Just remember to keep whatever you say short and upbeat!

8. Next you can disclose if you are male or female and your age if you like. Personally I think the male/female can either work for you or against you depending on what your users opinions are. But then again if you feel it can work for you go ahead and disclose it. As for age, that's up to you, I did not disclose mine but I'm 31. So what happens when I told you that? Did you think - then this blogger is too.... you fill in the blank - you get my point.

9. Next comes your website URL. If you don't have a website you can make one for free. But you don't have to have one.

10. Next is a shopping "wishlist" - unless your blog is about shopping I don't recommend filling out this one.

11. Then you've got your location. Again this is entirely up to you - you can say exactly where you're from, or just be general as in USA or California, or not disclose it at all. The more "personal" information you disclose the more at risk you are for turning off someone who doesn't like people from Texas for example. Just think in terms of universal appeal to your readers.

12. Then you can list your job - again unless your blog is specifically about your job, or you job is a computer programmer or professional blogger I'd leave this one empty.

13. Now for the good parts: Interests, About Me, Favorite things. Let's start with interests - if you make a list of your interests here it gives your readers an idea of what you'll probably eventually be blogging about - but if one of your interests is crocheting and you have no intention of ever bringing this up in your posts then there's no need to tell folks about it in the first place.

Next we have "About Me" - this is my favorite and I believe most important section on your profile.

So what should you include in your "About Me?"

Well here's what I wrote in my about me:
(I'm showing it exactly as I wrote it with the HTML code and all, so you can see how you can customize this section on your blogger.com profile. To see the end result click here)

Click here to read more < a href="http://cbwebmasterblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/about.html">About Me< /a>
< br>< br>
< a href="http://cbwebmasterblog.blogspot.com/">Check out my personal blog!< /a>
< br>
< br>What does CB Stand for?
< br>< br>
It's Chatblog!< br>< br>

< a href="http://cbwebmasterblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-baby.html">See our Motto< /a>

< br>< br>
< a href="http://chatblog.net78.net/">Chatblog< /a> allows people to Blog and Chat! Members communicate through their own private chat rooms and through group blogs. The blogs may be viewed by the public, but only members have full rights to publish and comment in the blogs.< br>< br>< a href="http://chatblog.net78.net/signup.html">Sign Up for Free!< /a>

Please note in reality there should not be any space between the < bracket and the letter. For these html codes (which are normally hidden in web pages) to appear I had to leave a space.

Phew! That's it! It may seem long but look at how relevant the information is!

You may notice my about me section wasn't really about me as a person - that's what most people usually use it for - but as you can see you can write it up to address the needs of your readers instead of just blabbing on about how you like monkeys.

I think that's probably the biggest thing you can do for your profile - make it about your readers instead of making it about you!

As you saw in my profile instead of writing about me I hyperlinked to a blog posting about me - and actually if you followed the blog posting to the page about me called The Creator then you saw how even there although I spoke about my personal experience I made the entire story's goal to be about why I am like my readers and how every thing I do is about making the best possible site for them. One word of caution here - be sincere - people can spot insincerity instantly even on the internet!

As you may have noticed in my profile I took my readers on a little walk - I let them click on different blog posts and even go directly to my webpage to find out more instead of just letting them sit on my profile. Here's why I did that.

Then the last section is about your favorite things like movies, music, and books. You can list these of you like if you REALLY feel it's necessary to tell everyone you liked Planet of the Apes (just remember there's going to be at least one reader out there who didn't like that movie and will be turned off by you sharing that about yourself)

So that's it! Just click SAVE PROFILE and you're done! You can edit the profile any time you want - put a new photo on it, change your about me spiel and adjust your ever-changing list of interests.

I hope this post was helpful for you, if it was please click on the small box below this posting to leave your instant review.

Oh and if you want some feedback on your profile I'd be happy to look it over and give you some suggestions on it! You can email me at: webmaster@chatblog.net78.net

Oh and for help on HTML codes to use in your blog postings click here

Take care,
CB Webmaster

P.S. One more thing - and here's why your profile is extra important in blogger.com -because it will appear on each of your blogs (if you select that option in your blog's layout). Which means it's a very visible way to connect to new readers instantly!

No comments:

Post a Comment