Saturday, December 13, 2008

Don't Piss Off Your Readers

Remember my post on not being stubborn when it comes to changing titles? The same goes for labels!

If the label you originally used to categorize posts of the same topic is no longer fitting or just isn't doing its job well enough - you can change it too!

For example I had this label: Keywords Tags and Labels

I originally labeled it that because I figured keywords and tags are key search words people are going to be looking for - the only problem is I hadn't done enough research in that area yet and had no postings on it - I only had postings on Labels - so this was not really "labeled" correctly for my readers.

Just think how disappointed you'd be if you clicked on it because you wanted to learn about keywords and then found out there wasn't even one single post about keywords in that directory?

You'd be pissed, I mean I know I would! And that's definitely not a way to gain
readers - by misleading them to believe there is material there they are interesting in only for them to find out (and very soon at that), that there never was any information they sought there.

Let's just I don't think you'll be getting any repeat "customers" that way!

So make sure to label your posts correctly and relabel as necessary.

Hopefully pleasing my readers,
CB Webmaster

P.S. You know how I said above to think about "how disappointed you'd be"? Well I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that should become a guiding principle for you when you're writing your blog posts - that if you find that you'd be disappointed after reading it (pretend of course that you are the reader of your blog) then it's probably time to take that particular blog post back to the drawing board (rewrite it), or do more homework on it, or scratch it entirely - better to have a blog with less posts than one cluttered with drivel.

No comments:

Post a Comment