Saturday, December 13, 2008

Blog Post Disappeared - Don't Panic!

Okay I have a blog post that is really one of my best posts! And because it's one of my best posts I have a tendency to link to it within my other posts.

It's called: Blog Material for Life - you can imagine my panic when I clicked on a hyperlink to it today and blogger.com told me the page does not exist!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggh! (that's me running around in circles)

So I sat down and put my thinking shoes on. First I began searching my hardcopy files on my computer (how many times have I lectured on the importance of backing up your blog posts????)

And I found it immediately - phew - okay load lifted.

Then I realized sometimes my "backup" versions aren't exactly well the final draft - eek!

So instead of spiraling downwards again I decided to see if there was some way I could locate the "vanished" blog posting!

First I went to blogger.com's help and had no luck whatsoever! Quite a shock to me! And then when I scoured their help page for a contact email I realized - THEY DON'T HAVE ONE! OMG! How did I miss that fact before?

So silently trying not to spin out of control I thought well they MUST have a contact email somewhere!

So I opened a google search engine and was prepared to type in: Blogger.com contact information

but then I was suddenly struck with inspiration - instead of going down that track (which would probably leave me more frustrated than when I began)

I decide to search this phrase in google: blogger.com post disappeared

And guess what?

I wasn't alone!

The second search result looked promising and so I clicked on the result.

And to my great surprise and relief it had exact details on how to find my post!

Phew! Man that was a relief!

Well on that page Ted said:

"You have searched the Edit Posts list to make sure it isn't there?"

And I thought, well no.... (instead I panicked!!! lol)

So that's what I did.

I went to the edit posts option and scrolled back through my posts until I found the one I was missing (I used CNTL + F to search for a word I knew was in that title)

And bam! There it was on the list still!

I couldn't believe it! I really thought it was going to be gone - but there it was! *picture me awed like a kid who got what he asked for on Christmas*

But I noticed that instead of the usual options on the left which are EDIT and VIEW

only EDIT appeared!

So I clicked on that and - like the wings of an angel I was swept back to my post!

And all I had to do to make it reappear was click: PUBLISH POST.

And like magic it was back as well as its permalink!

I still have no idea how or why it disappeared (although I have to admit for a moment there I thought there was a conspiracy to keep the information I was presenting in this post hush hush! lol!)

Well afterall it is very pertinent information that when applied could make a vast difference in bloggers success rates!

So, alas, conspiracy or not, my blog posting is nestled safely back in my blog's welcoming arms and I can rest well.

Breathing in a deep sigh of relief,
CB Webmaster

P.S. Go here for more info on backing up your posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment