Thursday, December 18, 2008

How to Approach A Potential Linking Source

I know you've come across blog posts online which you really liked.

That's great!

So why not use this to your advantage?

Instead of just reading the post and not taking it any further - take it further!

Contact the person who created the post.

Tell them what specifically you liked about the post.

Then you can tell them you'd like to link to their post on your blog (if you want to)

Then the ball is in their court!

But if you don't want to wait for them to "grant" you permission to link to their blog you can link to it to begin with and then say in your comment:

I hope you don't mind but I really loved your post and linked to it on my blog. If for any reason you'd like me to remove the link just let me know.

If the blogger has a direct way to contact them such as an email or a contact form use that, but if they don't you can make a comment at the bottom of the blog post. Generally these comments are moderated by the bloggers themselves so they'll read your comment.

Wait what about the potential linking source you mentioned in the title?

Well because you're linking to something you like, there's no harm in it, and it may additionally earn you a link from the blogger you linked to.

Of course you're leaving it up to them to decide to link to your blog or suggest it to their readers and/or friends.

But I find this non-pushy approach is much nicer than saying "If you link to me I'll link to you" - that just reminds me of a second-grader mentality. Why not just link to them because you enjoyed it?

Not asking for a link could = getting a link

Who knew?

Creating wacky approaches for you,
CB Webmaster

P.S. If you want to link to a specific post you liked you may want to make a brief blog post about it. Here's what I suggest.

No comments:

Post a Comment